Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Transfer Market News: Lots of moves, millions of rumors
Weird offseason in Argentina's football with the usual millions rumors but also many teams rebuilding their squads and making many transfers.
* Curiously it's the biggest teams, River and Boca, who have lost more than what they've added so far. Besides the shocking Riquelme's decision, Boca also lost Cvitanich (returned to Ajax), while strikers Viatri and Mouche could be close to jump the Atlantic ocean and sign with Villarreal and Rubin Kazan respectively.
No new players for them yet besides a few returning from loans like defender Cristian Cellay.
They are now in need of a new goalkeeper because Agustin Orion has a knee injury that will keep him out for 2-3 months, and Uruguayan Sebastian Sosa decided to sign for Velez.
River saw Alejandro "Chori" Dominguez and Fernando Cavenaghi leave after some arguments with club's president Daniel Passarella, and their only new faces so far are Velez's goalkeeper Marcelo Barovero and Estudiantes right defender Gabriel Mercado.
Also offensive midfielder Manuel Lanzini returned from loan to Fluminense.
* Both Avellaneda teams, Independiente and Racing, are going through the rebuilding process they were expected to.
Independiente signed Union's playmaker Paulo Rosales, ex River and Velez midfielder Victor Zapata plus Paraguay's National Team midfielder Jonathan Santana.
* Their neighbors Racing are doing an even deeper squad change, signing 7 new players so far including veteran attackers Jose Sand (ex River, Lanus among others) and Javier Campora who played the last couple of seasons with Huracan to replace Colombian midfielder Giovani Moreno who is already playing for his new club, China's Shanghai Shenhua.
Also Olimpo's Martin Perez Guedes while Godoy Cruz's bearded midfielder Diego Villar is about to sign and they are trying to add 2006 World Cup champion Mauro Camoranesi but Lanus is asking for more money than expected to let him go.
* The other member of the Big 5 group, San Lorenzo, is in a huge institutional chaos that no one knows how it will end. The whole club board will resign in the next days after really poor management that led to a financial crisis.
The club has a few new faces, mostly almost unknown players, but will have to find a way to replace some of the gone players like strikers Carlos Bueno, Emanuel Gigliotti and midfielder Nestor Ortigoza who is close to be transferred to an Arabian team.
Ex Arsenal de Sarandi and Benfica striker Franco Jara, and ex Everton Denis Stracqualursi could join the team soon.
* Velez is also a team that might not be as strong this season. They've replaced goalkeeper Marcelo Barovero with ex Boca and Peñarol Sebastian Sosa, but they will have to find a way to replace midfielder Victor Zapata and also striker Juan Manuel "Burrito" Martinez who joined the Copa Libertadores champion Corinthians.
* Clausura's 2nd placed Tigre suffered two important loses: midfielder Roman Martinez signed for Estudiantes where he will try to replace recently retired Juan Sebastian Veron, and top scorer Carlos Luna ended his loan and returned to Ecuador's Liga de Quito.
* One of the most important signings of the last few weeks is Maxi Rodriguez leaving Liverpool to go back to Newell's, his hometown club and the place where he started his professional career.
Racing's defender Marcos Caceres and ex Gimnasia Milton Casco are the other new players in the Rosario team.