Velez defeat put some spice on the final 5 round of Clausura by losing 2-3 at Lanus, who is now 4 points behind them. They are still the only leader, but now Godoy Cruz is in the 2nd place only 1 away and they meet in a couple of rounds.
* Velez played with half reserves team and as expected the uprising Lanus gave them big troubles. The leader couldn't hold to two leads (0-1 and 1-2) in the 1st half, and when Lanus scored the 3-2 early in the 2nd part they had no answers to react.
* Boca won the Super Clasico almost not shooting at goal. Is this possible ?
Well, if you saw the game you would understand what I mean. River was playing better than a disoriented Boca, and although it was no big domination they were almost deserving to lead when the fatal 2 minutes came. First an unbelievable own goal by goalkeeper Juan Pablo Carrizo (still the best or one of the best in the league in my opinion) and then a defensive mistake that allowed Martin Palermo to score his last game in a derby (he's retiring in June at the end of Clausura) and shed some tears of joy while he was celebrating.
River pushed and could have scored a goal but by the middle of the 2nd half they basically gave up. Boca won thanks to River's desperation and bad luck and put their all time rival closer to the promotion playoffs. One side note for the awful referee in charge of this game who didn't give the visitors 1 or 2 very clear penalties.
* Even more interesting than the fight to win the championship is the fight in the lower places of the Averages table to avoid relegation and the promotion playoffs.
* Solid win by Gimnasia against a dull Banfield who keeps playing worst every week. Finally the La Plata team won and this combined with Huracan's defeat vs Colon put this two teams in a tie in the 19th place of the Averages table.
What does this mean ? That if the league ended today Gimnasia and Huracan would have to play a game in neutral ground to decide who will go to 2nd division and who will play the promotion playoff !!
* Talking about Huracan, they looked as poor as lately and they seem to be more hopeless every week. Only a few weeks ago they had a 5-7 points difference with Gimnasia and now they are both tied. For Colon it was the easiest win of the year with 3 goals in the 1st half, and they finally won at home after 6 games.
* Another hopeless team is Newell's. Last placed in Clausura, they won't have any problems in the Averages table this year but this awful season might give them problems in the future.
They played much better than Racing for 10 minutes but after the home team scored in their first chance there was only one team on the field.
*Great win by All Boys. It was a very tight game but a long shot and amazing goal by Emanuel Gigliotti, who last week scored the 1st goal vs River, gave them 3 very important points and they are now only 4-5 points from securing their place in 1st division for the next season. A great season for a very small club that was in 3rd division only a few seasons ago.
Arsenal keeps going down in the Averages table, an unbelievable fall after ending 3rd in Apertura.
* If River didn't fell in promotion playoff zone was thanks to Independiente, who played a solid game and beat this Olimpo who is struggling in the worst moment and can't get out of the bottom of the Averages table. Also Tigre, with a deserved draw vs this unmotivated Estudiantes got a point further from the promotion zone and won some extra air for the last 5 rounds.
The 15th round will feature Velez hosting the desperate Gimnasia, 2nd placed Godoy Cruz visiting Banfield and River trying to recover from the superclasico defeat in the derby vs San Lorenzo.
Only 5 rounds left and the league gets more and more exciting !!!
Round 14 results :
13/5 — Godoy Cruz Antonio Tomba 2 – 0 Quilmes A.C.
14/5 — Gimnasia y Esgrima de La Plata 2 – 0 Banfield
14/5 — San Lorenzo 1 – 2 Argentinos Juniors
14/5 — All Boys 1 – 0 Arsenal F.C.
14/5 — Colón de Santa Fe 3 – 0 Huracán
14/5 — Racing Club 3 – 0 Newell’s Old Boys
15/5 — Estudiantes de La Plata 2 – 2 Tigre
15/5 — Boca Juniors 2 – 0 River Plate
15/5 — Olimpo de Bahía Blanca 1 – 2 Independiente
15/5 — Lanús 3 – 2 Vélez Sarsfield
Round 15 Schedule
Friday May 20
19.10-- Newell´s Old Boys-All Boys
21.10-- Banfield-Godoy Cruz Antonio Tomba
Saturday May 21
16.10-- Argentinos Juniors-Olimpo de Bahía Blanca
18.20-- Huracán-Estudiantes de La Plata
20.20-- Independiente-Colón de Santa Fe
Sunday May 22
14.00-- Quilmes A.C. -Racing Club
16.00-- Vélez Sarsfield-Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata
18.10-- River Plate-San Lorenzo de Almagro
20.20-- Arsenal F.C. -Boca Juniors
Averages Table (http://www.argentinapreviews.com/2010/05/how-are-relegations-decided.html) :
Copa Sudamerica 2011 table ( Top 6 qualify to Copa Sudamericana 2011 + Independiente because they are Sudamericana 2010 champion) :
* Tables taken from "La Redó" (www.la-redo.com.ar)