We've reached almost half of the tournament and of course things are not clear at all, but this round 2 teams standed out as possible candidates : River and Velez. Especially the 2nd one, who played a great game vs Newell's that ended only 2-0 because the visitor's goalkeeper was on one of his best nights and saved his team from a bigger defeat. After the game Newell's coach resigned as did Colon's on Saturday.
* River also won and although they didn't shine like Velez, it was a deserved one and they are the only leaders of Clausura, with one game more played.
* The ex-leader Estudiantes failed to win again. They were just slightly better than a San Lorenzo that, as expected, went for the draw and got it. Estudiantes didn't try much anyway, so the scoreless draw was not far from a fair result in such a boring game.
*Another useless draw was the 0-0 between Huracan - Racing. Game went pretty much as expected : very intense, Huracan playing a little better, but overall the draw was a fair result.
Racing won only 1 of the last 15 points and once again they ended leaving many doubts to their fans about the real potential of this team. For Huracan the draw was a poor result because Olimpo won earlier and took a bigger difference from them in the Averages table.
* Boca is back to normal. Awful awful game by them. Harmless in offense, hopeless as always in defense...they are 8 points behind River and unless they win 3 or 4 games in a row they have nothing to play for. Lanus was far from a good performance, but with very little was enough to win.
* All Boys scored a goal and won ! It took them 6 rounds to finally score again, and of course they suffered a lot, but Tigre couldn't find a way to get the draw and the relegation fight now is very interesting with Olimpo and All Boys tied in one of the promotion playoff places.
* Good win for Independiente. The 3 goals difference was too much, but they got a deserved win because of what they did in the 1st half. When Godoy was playing better, Independiente scored the 1-0 in the 2nd half, they didn't let Godoy react and finished them with 2 counter attacks.
Next week's main games are the derby between Racing and Independiente (one of the biggest in the league behind River-Boca), the leader River visits Gimnasia, Velez goes to Santa Fe to play vs Colon (whith a interim coach probably) and a huge game for the Averages table between All Boys and Huracan.
Round 9 results :
8/4 — Estudiantes de La Plata 0 – 0 San Lorenzo
8/4 — Independiente 3 – 0 Godoy Cruz Antonio Tomba
9/4 — Colón de Santa Fe 0 – 2 Olimpo de Bahía Blanca
9/4 — Arsenal F.C. 2 – 2 Quilmes A.C.
9/4 — Huracán 0 – 0 Racing Club
9/4 — River Plate 1 – 0 Banfield
10/4 — Argentinos Juniors 1 – 1 Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata
10/4 — Lanús 2 – 0 Boca Juniors
10/4 — Tigre 0 – 1 All Boys
10/4 — Vélez Sarsfield 2 – 0 Newell´s Old Boys
Averages Table (http://www.argentinapreviews.com/2010/05/how-are-relegations-decided.html) :
Copa Sudamerica 2011 table ( Top 6 qualify to Copa Sudamericana 2011 + Independiente because they are Sudamericana 2010 champion) :
* Tables taken from "La Redó" (www.la-redo.com.ar)